[X]

±Movie Search

Search The Internet Movie Database

Enter the name of a movie, TV show, or person and then click "Go"

Search provided by the Internet Movie Database
For whats on in Chantilly click here

±Qs & Ps

J'ai des fourmis dans les jambes

-- I have pins and needles in my legs (I have ants in my legs)

View All Quotes / Phrases

To meet new people and join some local associations

Where do you live? What's there? What are the neighbours like?
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

To meet new people and join some local associations

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello!

I arrived in Chantilly about 3 weeks ago from the UK and am looking to try and create some kind of social life for myself! I'm happy to either meet up for a drink, go to the cinema, etc. I would also like to know if there is a book club or any other club/association that I can join. I would also be happy to do some kind of language exchange or do some casual English teaching. The main thing is to get to know some locals! Very Happy

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Alison

Alison

Re: To meet new people and join some local associations

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:54 am

Alison,

Welcome to the area! There's a friendly bunch here so hopefully you'll be able to meet some people. Sign up for the mailing lists on the left hand side and you'll be kept in touch with what's going on and requests from others in a similar boat to you.

One of the lists is for the Home & Away Dining Society - we're about as informal as it gets - just people who like eating out and getting together with others to do it. We're meeting up this Saturday in Le Lys, Lamorlaye for a pot luck dinner (everyone brings a dish) so it'd be a good chance to meet some of the locals. Let me know if you fancy coming along.

Adrian Powell
Webmaster
ChantillyExpat.com

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm

Hello Alison and all APARC members I am also in the same boat. I am moving to Chantilly in October and I dont know anybody. I hope you settle in quickly Alison and hopefully in October we could meet at a coffee morning Very Happy

Claire Very Happy

claire

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:56 pm

How are you both getting on? I hope you've managed to meet some people. We've announced details of the Home & Away Christmas dinner which will take place on December 10th if you are interested?

Adrian Powell
Webmaster
ChantillyExpat.com

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello again. unfortunatly I am still stuck in Paris, hopefully will move to Chantilly in December now. I am trying to buy a house there and its more complicated than I first thought. Hopefully I will be moved in in time for your christmas meal out.

Thanks for the reply,

Claire

claire

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Ah moving is never easy! Send me an email or a message if you'd like to be included in numbers as we have only limited places.

Good luck with it all!

Adrian Powell
Webmaster
ChantillyExpat.com

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Ok thanks,

looking forward to finally moving in and making some Chantilly friends Very Happy

claire

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi
I am currently living in a small village outside of Beauvais with my french fiance and my 8 week old baby. I moved here to be with my fiance just under a year ago. Although the village is lovely and quiet, its quite far out of the main town and there isnt really much going on which has made it hard to make new friends etc. My finace has recently changed jobs which means he is now working closer to Paris and lots of people have suggested Chantilly as a good place for us to move to. I have visited Chantilly (including the castle and the all important english shop) and thought it was lovely. One of our reasons for moving would be to help me meet more people (hopefully some other British!) and to hopefully help me feel less homesick!
Anyway I was wondering how others had found it moving to Chantilly? Is it easy to meet people? Does it have that "like home" feeling? Are there other young families?
Looking forward to hearing from people!
Anna

Annie1

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Anna,
Whereabouts do you live. We live in Mouy, which is inbetween Chantilly and Beauvais.
There is a large English speaking community in and around Chantilly. There are 2 mother toddler groups at the church hall (just behind the English church) on a thursday and a wednesday.
On Wednesday morning there is a “Coffee and Chat” morning in the Church Centre (people coming and going as they please) from 9.30 to 11.45 am. There is no coordinated activity, very relaxed, children can come and play with toys and with other children. The coordinator is Barbara Sauron on 01 34 70 80 24 who is wonderfully cheerful and welcoming.

Thursday is Mother and Toddler group called "Mothers and Others". Meets from 9.30am to 11.45 am. in the Church Centre. A good number of parents with pre-school children. Generally a chance for anglophone parents to meet others in similar situation and speak English. Slightly more structured with refreshments and a toy area that is set up for the children. A bit more focused on the children. The coordinator is: Helen Calderini on 03 44 58 24 18
I hope this is useful to you. There are other groups you can join but you would be very welcome to come along to our Home and Away Dining Society who try to meet once a month, to meet new and old friends.
Do contact me if I can help further.
Vanessa

Vanessa Powell
Www.lasourcetranquille.com

Ness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Hello,

I am moving to Chantilly as well in December. I would like to meet fellow anglophones so thanks for the information.
See you all soon, I hope Very Happy
Claire

claire

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:19 pm

and Anna if you fancy a cup of tea let me know! i have just moved out here to be with my partner to so I know how it feels to be so far from home.

Heres my email: bubblesmileychicken @ yahoo.com
Claire Very Happy

claire

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi to everybody!
I see that nobody wrote here since long time but i'll try! My name is Yulia and now i live in Lamorlaye. Original i'm from Russia. So, i'm sorry for my english))
My husband is french and for this reason i changed my country! I don't have job here and friends! I hope it's not for long time!
I ll be happy to meet with new people who speak not just in french))))) And it ll be super to learn this difficult language with somebody!

Yulia

JulySun

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi everybody,
I came from Vienna (Austria) to the Chantilly are two years ago and I first had problems setting in. Luckily, a friend of mine told me about Mothers & Others. It's an international playgroup which takes place every Thursday morning at St. Peter's Church in Chantilly. That's where I met quite a few people! I still don't really have any French friends which is a shame as I speak the language and all the rest of it but it is not as easy as I thought. That's why I am very happy that I met international fellows at M&O.
Since one year, I work at the Chantilly library as a volunteer for the English Children's Book Section. There's a special corner with English books and if you are interested: We organize the so-called "English Story Time" where I read books, sing songs, etc. It always takes place every 4th Wednesday of a month so the next Story Time will be next Wednesday (26.6.). Please feel free to join us!
The Chantilly library also organizes French Story Times - just check it out...
Take care and maybe we will see each other next Wednesday,
Simone

Brinks

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 am

Hi Simone,
What time is the English Story Time?
Danielle

dlambour

Link  QR  Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   myspace   twitthis  
Show more ...
Page 1 of 1