±Business Directory

[X]

±Movie Search

Search The Internet Movie Database

Enter the name of a movie, TV show, or person and then click "Go"

Search provided by the Internet Movie Database
For whats on in Chantilly click here

±Qs & Ps

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

-- Henry Ford

View All Quotes / Phrases

Exchanging a foreign driving license

Got a question about the roads in France? On ticket types for the railways? Discuss them here
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Exchanging a foreign driving license

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi,

I live in Gouvieux. Where do I go to exchange a foreign driving license for a French one?

domino

Re: Exchanging a foreign driving license

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Do you have an EU licence? If so there is no need to change it for a French one. The only way you can be compelled to change it is if you are convicted of an offense that requires the deduction of points in France - for that you will need a French Licence.

Full details of the EU directive are here whilst there is a useful FAQ section here.

A useful excerpt from an FAQ is this:

Q. How do I obtain a French licence?
A. Assuming you hold a valid licence from an EU or EEA (European Economic Area) member state you can request to change from your current licence to a French licence. However thanks to an EU directive you are not obliged to exchange your UK licence for a French one if you are resident in France. To request an exchange you should apply to your local Prefecture (the form is called the demande d’échange de permis de conduire). You will need to provide:

- a valid current licence (an official translation may be necessary including details of any penalties or suspensions)
- proof of domicile
- 2 passport sized photographs
- your carte de séjour (or passport)
- the fee, in the form of timbres fiscale

It is worth keeping your original licence as the French licence will not show how many years you have been driving prior to the issue of the licence.

The local sous-prefecture for the Oise is in Senlis, the Prefecture is in Beauvais. Hope that helps!

Adrian Powell
Webmaster
ChantillyExpat.com

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Thank you! Smile

domino

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm

I recently spoke with the DVLA (UK Authority) as my UK licence expires next year and seems that unless you are resident in the UK then they will not renew it.

steveg

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:24 pm

It's a problem with the system - the DVLA has no way of storing foreign addresses so you can't change your address to a foreign one. However, they have admitted that because of this you cannot be prosecuted for having an incorrect address on your licence in these circumstances. So you just need any UK address that you can collect post from - parents, work etc.

Adrian Powell
Webmaster
ChantillyExpat.com

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks Adrian will give it a try when the time arises

steveg

Link  QR  Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   myspace   twitthis  
Show more ...