±Business Directory

[X]

±Movie Search

Search The Internet Movie Database

Enter the name of a movie, TV show, or person and then click "Go"

Search provided by the Internet Movie Database
For whats on in Chantilly click here

±Qs & Ps

A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong.

-- Milton Berle

View All Quotes / Phrases

Questions

Thinking of starting a new business? Looking to change jobs?
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Questions

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi, my husband has been offered a visiting two-year position in the Chantilly area. We both work and have two wonderful children (ages 3 and 6). There is a possibility that I could also transfer my employment to France -- however, I am wondering about logistics as working parenthood is challenging. What kind of programs are there during school breaks? I had been interested in ELMS for my kids but wasn't clear on how we would manage the breaks? Separately, is it easy to find household help?

Also if I transfer jobs I would need to commute into Paris. Is this a painful commute by train? How long does it take?

Am appreciative of any advice or perspectives on these topics. I have worked hard here in the U.S. to achieve good logistics which is critical to having a sane family life if both parents work. I am home by 4 pm with my kids on most days and have someone who helps with the housecleaning.

Thanks,

Jill, Alexandria, VA USA

Jill

Re: Questions

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi there,
I have asked a friend who is a working mum in Paris to offer some advice. Hopefully she will send a reply soon,
Best of luck with the move
regards
Vanessa

Ness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi Jill,

I have been living in France since last August. I am American (from Michigan!), married to a Frenchman, and have a boy who is 8 and a girl who is 5. My husband is French. We love this area, and find that Chantilly is close enough to Paris to visit on a regular basis, and far enough away to actually have a nice sized home and yard, and some quiet moments!

Regarding work and help, and ease to get to Paris. Yes, yes and yes. There is a train from Chantilly to Paris - 24 minutes to get downtown Paris, there is also another nearby town called Coye la Foret - Orry la Ville which has a train station, and that train is 19 minutes to downtown Paris. Very easy. As far as help goes, yes, not very hard to find good help. Whether you want someone in your home, or an official daycare center, or a daycare provider, it is all possible. The same goes for summer programs. The French goverment has may social programs, and many things can even be deducted from your taxes, such as childcare and household help (cleaning people, landscaper etc..).

I work south of Paris, and overall have found the arrangements here in the Chantilly region to be pretty accessible. I also find that there is a large English speaking community, and that your children will fit right in, and will also have the opportunity to learn French!

If you would like to ask me some specifics, please feel free to call me on my USA number (internet phone) at 586-453-5466. Weekends are best to reach me. I would be happy to talk with you!

Good luck and I look forward to meeting you!
Jody

dejo

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi Again Jill,

My Internet phone number again (mistake on the 1st post):
586-435-5466

Bye!
Jody

dejo

Post Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi, Jody -- This weekend we are going to be out of town -- but perhaps I could try to reach you the following weekend. I feel relieved after reading your email and look forward to talking with you sometime soon. Thanks for responding.

Regards,

Jill

Jill, Alexandria, VA USA

Jill

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi Jill,

Look forward to talking to you!

Have a nice weekend.

Jody Julien

dejo

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

Hi, my husband has been offered a visiting two-year position in the Chantilly area. We both work and have two wonderful children (ages 3 and 6). There is a possibility that I could also transfer my employment to France -- however, I am wondering about logistics as working parenthood is challenging. What kind of programs are there during school breaks? I had been interested in ELMS for my kids but wasn't clear on how we would manage the breaks? Separately, is it easy to find household help?

card games and solitaire

fpost230

Link  QR  Share this Printer Friendly Page  facebook   myspace   twitthis  
Show more ...
Page 1 of 1